Take another look at your notes on blood, blood vessels and the heart from topic 6. Re-learn your heart diagram. There is some new vocab to get your head around in this section. I have highlighted these terms below. Use this presentation to help you.
Here are some useful animations for the cardiac cycle.
- Explain the events of the cardiac cycle. [Talk about atrial and ventricular systole and diastole, and heart sounds]
- Analyse data showing pressure and volume changes in the left atrium, left ventricle and aorta during the cardiac cycle.
- Outline the mechanisms that control heartbeat. [Include role of sinoatrial (SA) node, atrioventricular (AV) node and conducting fibres in the ventricular walls]
- Outline atherosclerosis and the causes of coronary thrombosis.
- Discuss factors that affect the incidence of CHD (coronary heart disease).