Here’s what we need to cover in this last section of Option E.
- Honey bees are social organisms. Describe the organization of a bee colony – who does what. Find one other example of such social organization and describe it.
- What is the role of natural selection in colonies like this?
- Give 2 non-human examples of altruistic behaviour and discuss in terms of evolution.
- What is foraging? Bluegill fish forage for Daphnia. Find one other example, and explain how this type of behaviour optimizes food intake.
- Peacocks have pretty fancy tail feathers. Why have they evolved this way? Explain in terms of mate selection.
- Animals show rhythmical variations in activity. Outline 2 examples illustrating this. Eg, seasonal reproductive behaviour in deer.
Here’s a very useful slideshare presentation on this section.