These are the syllabus statements for this section of the syllabus. Topic-2-syllabus-outline
Use this presentation, your textbooks, or any other resources you find helpful to tackle these problems. We will divide and conquer – a bit like cells specializing in one particular function, each of you will be responsible for one section, and then share your expertise. This can be notes that you leave as a comment to this post, or a handout for your classmates, or both.
- Outline the cell theory.
- Discuss the evidence for the cell theory.
- State that unicellular organisms carry out all the functions of life.
- State that multicellular organisms show emergent properties.
- Explain that cells in multicellular organisms differentiate to carry out specialized functions by expressing some of their genes but not others.
- State that stem cells retain the capacity to divide and have the ability to differentiate along different pathways.
- Outline one therapeutic use of stem cells.
Another great presentation on this unit.
We will also consider size (does it matter?) in relation to cells and organisms. Here is a nice animation to get you thinking.