This unit is part of the bigger Topic 6 of the syllabus. In this section we need to be able to:
- Explain why digestion is necessary, and what role enzymes play in digestion.
- Draw and label a diagram of the human digestive system.
- Outline the functions of the main parts of the digestive system.
- Distinguish between absorption and assimilation.
- Relate the structure of the villus to its function.
The syllabus guide is here: Topic-6-syllabus-outline
We’ll also do a dissection of animal intestines, so look forward to that! When else will you have the opportunity to put your hand inside a goat’s stomach or simulate peristalsis with real intestines?